The main building of the University of Glasgow at Gilmorehill is one of the most important Gothic Revival buildings in the UK. Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1870, it replaced the original University buildings in the city centre.
The whole campus is arranged around quadrangles with several stories in red sandstone and was added to throughout its life. It includes several elements saved from the original city centre campus and has a number of the interior spaces that are exceptional for their decorative schemes.
The University wanted to investigate the future use and strategy for the historic core of the campus, the heart of the estate, which was proving to be less and less suitable for modern academic uses. The question therefore arose about which academic departments could be accommodated in the older buildings and what other purposes could take place from the historic heart of the campus.
A full space analysis, survey and recording of the rooms in the historic structure were carried out to gauge the constraints on change and compliance issues that would arise. An external audit of open spaces to assess where improvements could take place was also conducted.